WARNING: Results may vary. This video was inspired by one of my favorite shows growing up: Zoom! I learned so many fun recipes from it, some of which I still make today. So, I thought it’d be fun to try something similar with Toons. On the show they made chocolate bowls, but we decided to make chocolate BALLOON bowls… and what a chocolate massacre it was. It wasn’t perfect and it definitely was messy, but it turned out SO cute. Let me give you some tips so you’re not dealing with the anxiety and stress of balloons popping and chocolate firing everywhere.
- Use water balloons because they’re small and will be easier for you to create a bowl shape.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, which is basically a pot filled with boiling water with a glass bowl on top, so that your chocolate isn’t on direct heat but gets super melty.
- Spray the balloon LIGHTLY with cooking spray. It will help it from popping, but don’t do too much or the chocolate won’t stick.
- Whatever you do, do NOT dip the balloons until the chocolate has cooled (as you can see, I learned the hard way).
- Use a tray under your bowl to contain sprinkles and reduce mess!
When you’re all done, you’ll end up with a cute little bowl that you can scoop ice cream or fruit in, and you get to eat the bowl! Just make sure to learn from my failures before trying this activity with the kids (Luna absolutely loved it), and maybe make a few extra just in case. Here’s a link to the recipe. Good luck!
- Water balloons
- Knife or pin
- Heat resistant bowls
- Parchment paper