I get so many amazing recipe requests from you guys, like @KrissySeebs, who recently Tweeted me asking for a recipe using SunChips. As a fellow SunChips enthusiast, I of course had to think of something. A lot of you loved the Prosciutto-Wrapped Stuffed Chicken from my first book, so I thought I’d put a little spin on it for another date night/dinner recipe. I present to you my Cheesy SunChips Chicken with sun-dried tomatoes and…more cheese. I used the French Onion flavor, but feel free to use your favorite! The crushed SunChips create this incredible breadcrumb-like coating (but with 10x the flavor and crunch), and the gooey, melted, smoky mozzarella… ooooh baby so easy and simple to make.
Watch the video for a quick how-to (PLUS a ghost sighting!), and pleeeease keep sending me your requests – I might make a recipe specifically for you!! (No this post is not sponsored by SunChips, that’s how much I genuinely love them!!)
Cheesy SunChips Chicken:
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Cooking spray
- 2 (8-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (7-ounce) bag French onion flavored SunChips
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 eggs
- 4 slices smoked mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 scallions, chopped
For the Bacon (optional):
- Arrange bacon strips on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until crisp, 12 to 13 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
For the Cheesy SunChips Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place each chicken breast in a quart-sized Ziploc bag or between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat tenderizer or an empty wine bottle, pound the chicken to ½-inch thickness. Season the chicken on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Crush the SunChips in another Ziploc bag until the crumbs are the size of rice granules and put them in a bowl with the Parm and another teaspoon of the salt.
- Combine the flour with the garlic powder and remaining 2 teaspoons salt in another bowl.
- Place the eggs in a third bowl and whisk until lightly beaten.
- Arrange 2 slices of the smoked mozz on top of each pounded chicken breast. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it with sun-dried tomatoes and scallions evenly on top, leaving a ½-inch border of naked chicken around the edges.
- Roll each breast into a log and seal with a toothpick or skewer.
- Dip each rolled breast in the egg, letting the excess drip off, then in the flour, then in the SunChips mixture, pressing firmly on all sides so it adheres to the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the coating is crispy and the chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the toothpick, slice crosswise into rounds, and serve.