I play hours… and hours… and then some more hours of Animal Crossing on a daily basis. I play it so much, it has now even become the inspo behind this recipe. In the game, you grow bamboo trees (amongst other things) and dig them up to get bamboo shoots (it’s all very exciting, I swear), and I realized… I never actually cooked with them before, ever. They’re similar to artichoke hearts and have a mild, sweet flavor, but a crisper texture, so I thought they’d be perfect in a stir fry. Mom and I made this up as we were filming, so please excuse the rough measurements. I added whatever we had in the fridge: mushrooms, onions, and green beans, but feel free to swap any of it out for other veggies. Crucial tip: save yourself the prep work and buy the bamboo shoots canned!! And whatever you do, don’t skip out on the hoisin sauce – I know I say it’s optional, but it really makes the dish!
- Serves: 2 to 4
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Wok or skillet
- Measuring cups
- Mixing spoon – this one has measuring lines to reference!
- Cutting board
- Bowls for ingredients
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or canola oil)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 10 ounces canned bamboo shoots (½ can), drained
- 2 tablespoons oyster or hoisin sauce (optional but recommended)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (optional)
- ½ teaspoon corn starch + 3-4 tablespoons water
- ½ pound oyster mushrooms (or mushrooms of choice)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok over medium heat until very hot (if using a regular nonstick skillet you might want to do medium-high heat). Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds or so, just until fragrant. Throw in the green beans, then the onion. Sauté until the green beans start to soften.
- Add the half can of bamboo shoots and sauté for another minute. Add the oyster sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and sriracha (if using), and toss to combine.
- Make a corn starch slurry by whisking together the corn starch with 3-4 tablespoons water. Add it to the wok and mix to combine.
- Add the mushrooms and gently toss them around. Stir in the white pepper, then the green onions. Mix in the hoisin sauce until everything is well combined. Remove from the heat and serve with a side of jasmine rice.