I dare you to resist the combination of mayo, soy, and sesame oil! It’s weirdly addictive, as you will find when you make this pasta salad, which may be the best use of bamboo shoots in recent memory. This dish must be served cold and couldn’t be easier. If you like the sauce, double it up and use it on other stuff, too.
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2/3 box (2/3 pound) spaghetti
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small can bamboo shoots, drained, patted dry, and cut into thin strips
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne (get one of these for that or just use a box grater)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Whisk together the mayonnaise, ¼ cup of the peanut oil, soy sauce, mustard, and sesame oil in a large bowl. Set aside.
Cook the spaghetti according to package directions, then drain very well and toss with the remaining 1 teaspoon peanut oil. Add the spaghetti to the dressing in the bowl along with the bell pepper, bamboo shoots, carrots, and cilantro, and toss to coat. Chill at least one hour and serve.