This spicy, no-cook green sauce is great on anything – chips, tacos, or a sauce for steak – so get creative! And as you know we think bouillon cubes are pure gold; they’re put to good use in this recipe. Fresh tomatillos sometimes have a papery husk on them–remove it and rinse any sticky film off the tomatillos with warm water. If you don’t have a Mexican or Latin market nearby, go ahead and use these canned ones.
- 10 medium tomatillos (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 5 scallions (greens and whites), trimmed
- 1 medium jalapeno, trimmed, (but seeds intact!)
- ½ bunch cilantro (leaves and tender stems)
- Juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
Peel back, remove and discard the paperlike husks from the tomatillos if they are attached. Rinse the tomatillos under warm water to remove some of the sticky film (but don’t worry, it’s not harmful). Combine all of the ingredients in the blender and blend on high until you achieve a salsa-like consistency. Season with salt to taste.