Crunchy, good, and a great side to go along with a lot of recipes, this little salad recipe is great to have in your hip pocket (and in your fridge). Dashi powder is made from little bonito fish that have tons of umami, so it packs a lot of flavor, even in small amounts. But if you can’t find it, swap in a drop of fish sauce!
- 6 Persian cucumber (about 1 pound), thinly sliced into rounds
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sesame oil (we used Dynasty brand)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dashi powder
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Toss the cucumbers and salt in a bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.
While cucumbers are marinating, whisk the vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, dashi powder, and olive oil in a bowl. Don’t drain the liquid from the cucumbers! Add the dressing, toss to coat, and add the sesame seeds. Serve right away or refrigerate for a couple of hours to give the flavors time to meld.