Like mayo, but homemade and a million times better. A few simple ingredients make something really special here – and you probably already have them all in your kitchen.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup neutral-flavored oil, such as canola, vegetable, or grapeseed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar (lemon juice works in a pinch as well)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
Combine the egg, 2 tablespoons of the oil, mustard, vinegar, garlic, and salt in a blender or the small bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. With the motor running, drizzle in the rest of the oil in a very thin stream (this should take at least a minute) to create a thick, mayonnaise-like texture. Season with more salt to taste.
Note: If aioli “breaks” during the emulsification process, no worries. Transfer it to a cup, then add another egg and a teaspoon of mustard to the empty blender and blend. Slowly drizzle the broken aïoli back in while motor is running to emulsify. Voila!