Why just have plain old guac when you can add shredded cheddar cheese and cause a riot among your friends? Some will instantly submit to the deliciousness, but the purists will have to be coaxed into trying it before admitting that that sharp cheesy tang only ups your guac experience.
- 3 large Hass avocados
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Halve the avocados and scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Add 1½ tablespoons of the lime juice, the cayenne, cumin, and salt and mash with a potato masher until chunky.
Fold in the cheddar, onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, and remaining 1½ tablespoons lime juice.
Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the guacamole (this prevents it from turning brown) and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving to let the flavors meld together.